Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Spice woes and a salad

I still can’t get that site to come up.

That’s bothersome for one specific reason – every recipe on my shopping bag calls for a specific spice blend. Cajun Seasoning you can futz with – most groceries sell a Cajun seasoning blend. The other seasoning mixes, however, are not so readily available, I think.

Bit annoying, that.

In the interim, I present a quick salad recipe that Ox sent me via e-mail. I’m not big on salads, but every now and then I find one that might be tasty, like this one.

Orange-Jicama Salad.

Serves 4

4 cups jicama, peeled and julienned
2 oranges, sectioned
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Mix the jicama, orange sections, and chopped coriander in a bowl.

Whisk together the remaining ingredients, toss with the jicama-orange mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.

Notes from the Hare

According to the e-mail this recipe was in, jicama is “a crunchy and sweet root vegetable common to Latin countries.” I saw a few in Kroger the other day. Each jicama was about the size of a grapefruit, with a light brown skin. They looked somewhat like a potato to me, and gave a little when squeezed. I’m not sure how to tell if a jicama is ripe and ready to eat, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if ripe is the correct word to use with Jicama. It should be firm like the potato you said it lookied like. It is quite crunchy and has is my opinion a very mild flavor. I've had it raw in another salad.