Friday, June 24, 2005

Four New Orleans Recpies

Success!

I haven’t been able to get the ilovenawlins website at all, but I did find an alternative.

While I was looking through the Farmer’s Market in the French Quarter, I spied some packs of something called “voodoo seasoning.” I snagged a couple of packets so I can see what it’s like. The description on the package is that you can use it as a salt substitute, but I have a couple of other ideas.

Anyway – I figured that I’d best find someplace that sells voodoo seasoning if I decide it’s a good thing to keep on hand, which is where I found Bolner’s Fiesta. And a little poking around the site reveals that they have almost each of the specialty spices and seasonings in the recipes I have on my shipping bag.

So – without further delay…

Creole Gumbo

Serves 12

1 cup butter
1 pound ham
½ pound smoked sausage
½ pound hot sausage
1 pound shrimp
4 crabs
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons Cajun spices (like this one)
1 pint oysters and oyster liquid
2 tablespoons file` (like this, I believe)

Fry onions in butter until light brown. Add garlic and flour. Fry until the flour is deep, dark brown. Add spices and parsley flakes. Fry sausage and ham.

IN large pot add the flour mixture, meats, and crabs. Fill pot with water. Cook approximately 2 hours and add shrimp when it is almost done. Serve over rice.

Blackened Red Fish

Serves 2

2 pieces raw red fish (any type of fish)
1 ¾ stick of butter
Cajun Blackened Spices or Blackened Redfish Spices (like this stuff here)

Dip fish in melted butter. Sprinkle both sides with Blackened Spices. Place in hot skillet and cook until charred. Use remaining butter for serving.

Creole Okra

Serves 8

2 pounds okra
1 diced onion
1 clove garlic, diced
½ pound smoked sausage
½ pound hot sausage
½ pound ham
1 pound shrimp
1 can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
4 crabs
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Cajun spices (like this one)

Fry the okra in oil until it flakes. Add onions, garlic, spices, parsley flakes, tomato sauce, and cayenne pepper. Fry ham and sausage (in a large pot in which you will cook the okra). Add crabs, and water and boil for approximately 1 hour. Add shrimp and cook for approximately 20 minutes.

Cajun Jambalaya

Serves 12

1 cup rice
½ pound shrimp
1 onion, diced
½ clove garlic
1 can tomato sauce
½ pound ham
½ pound smoked sausage
1 ounce Jambalaya Spices (like this stuff)
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Fry ham and sausage and place in large pot. Fry onions and garlic. When onions are light brown, add tomato sauce and spices. Fry for approximately 20 minutes, then add to meat along with 2 cups of water for each cup of rice (include the tomato sauce in this measurement) Let simmer for approximately ½ an hour. Add shrimp. When all the liquid is absorbed, lower heat and cover pot. Let it cook over low heat until rice is tender.

Notes from the Hare

These are copied pretty much exactly from the bag they were printed on.

I have one more, but I need to find a barbecue shrimp sauce before I post that one.

No comments: