Monday, September 27, 2010

Wherein the Rabbit Plans a Menu

Hare here.

So I'll be cooking dinner Saturday for Ox and a few of our friends, which I haven't done in a while. I've got most of it in mind – pot roast, gravy, coca cola rice – but I'm not entirely certain what I want to do for the vegetables. The rice itself is a bit sweet, so my sides don't need to be. I kinda want to do something with onions. Like, maybe...

Onions au Gratin

Serves 6

3 large onions, sliced
¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
¼ cup melted butter or margarine
¼ cup self rising flour
1 cup milk
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine onions, ½ cup of the mozzarella, butter, flour, milk, and salt in a large bowl and mix well.

Spoon onion mixture into an ungreased medium baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bread crumbs over the top.

Bake casserole until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are browned, about 30 minutes.

Source: Easy Everyday Cooking Recipe Cards

...or do I want to do something green? I do have green beans from Mom's garden. Or do I want to do something else, like..

Broccoli a la Brava


Serves 4

5 cups small broccoli florets (from about 1 large head)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
¼ teaspoon mild red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon grated lime zest

Prepare the broccoli: you can steam it in a steamer insert set over boiling water, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until it is just cooked but still crisp, or you can blanch it in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 – 7 minutes until it is crisp-tender. Transfer the cooked broccoli to a large bowl and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, then stir in the red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce. Add the broccoli to the skillet and toss together to marry the flavors. Serve sprinkled with lime zest.

Source: Simply Delicioso © 2008 Ingrid Hoffman

...or do I perhaps want to do something completely different?

Think, think, think.

No comments: