Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I don't know about this one

Ever find a recipe that looks pretty good – but upon preparation, its not all that good?

I tried this one a while back, and the flavor combination just didn’t work for me. I’m not entirely sure what it is – I left the mushrooms out since the basket I picked up was a bit slimy, which isn’t good from what I’ve been able to gather (actually, I was kind of relieved – mushrooms are not one of my favorite things). The dish looked pretty good, mind you. The taste just turned me off.

I present this here in case anyone wants to give it a shot. Just because the flavor combinations didn’t work for me doesn’t mean they won’t work for somebody.

Pizza Fish Fillets

Serves 6

1 ½ pound fresh or frozen haddock, cod, or orange roughy fillets, ½ to ¾ inch thick
Nonstick spray coating
½ teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
12 ounces spinach fettuccine
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ cup water
1 8-ounce can pizza sauce
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Thaw the fish if frozen and cut into 6 serving size pieces. Spray a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick coating. Place fish in baking dish, tucking under any thin edges so the fish cooks evenly. Sprinkle the fish with lemon-pepper seasoning.

Bake uncovered in a 450 degree F oven until fish just flakes easily with a fork (about 6 to 9 minutes per ½ in of thickness). Drain off any liquid.

While fish is baking, cook fettuccine according to package directions. In a medium saucepan, cook mushrooms, green pepper, and onion in the ¼ cup of water, covered, for about 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and add pizza sauce. Heat through.

Serve fish on fettuccine. Spoon sauce over fish. Sprinkle with cheese.

Source: What’s for Dinner? From Better Homes and Gardens Books, Inc. © 1995

Notes from the Hare

Like I said, this did not work out for me. If anyone tries it, let me know what you think.

No comments: